Monday, May 25, 2015

there's a new kid in town: rivelo

After a morning spent working on music for my upcoming teaching residency, I needed a bike ride. So I rode across town and over to the new boutique, Rivelo. It's basically an independent Rivendell dealership being opened by John Bennett, who use to work at Rivendell HQ in Walnut Creek.

He was happy to see me, and gifted me with a patch ("for being one of the first ten people to visit the shop," he cheerfully explained). We talked for a little while, I gawked and shopped a little bit (those Kwikoin change purses make awesome cases for spare guitar picks and I wanted one for my travel case), and took some photos.

It's small, cute, and super niche-y. John is stocking Rivendell bikes (The Hillborne and the gorgeous new Cheviot), various Rivendell accessories and clothing, and a few things John likes that you won't find at Rivendell HQ, like Bob Dylan albums on vinyl. (Yes, really.) They're having a soft opening, which means you should check the web site and call ahead to make sure someone's there. The Grand Opening party will be on June 20, and rumor has it Grant Peterson will show. (I'll be on the road so John promised to tell Grant hi for me.)

 
















Bob Dylan Records. A whole bunch of them. Because in Portland, a new shop needs a quirk. And John is crazy about Dylan. One quirk, served without pretense.


OMG. The new Rivendell Cheviot. A mixte for everyone. Simply drop-dead gorgeous. If money and space were no object I would totally buy one of these.

It was nice to get in and see the place before my trip. I'll stop back by for sure.
More pix of my visit at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bethness/sets/72157653044355950.

No comments: